Friday 13 June 2008

Ah Paris...

So here's the deal.

Shelbs and I leave the Moat Arms Hotel with the group and head to Gatwick Airport, and get off at the south terminal for the trains! We were excited for the trains, UNTIL they told us that our Eurail passes don't take us to europe. So we pay an unGodly amount of money to take the Eurostar to Paris. So we grit our teeth and pay. We go through bag checkers and, of course, I (Tucker) get pulled to the side to have my bags checked. I knew exactly what they had spotted in my bags. I had a knife that I had gotten from someone at Christmas in my bag. It was a small knife and I used it for sharpening my pencils and nothing else. So a burly woman comes up to me in the most intimidating way and asks why I have this knife and I tell her for art purposes, and she then tells me that it is illegal to carry knifes across the border. So they take it from me and ask if I have anything else worth taking, I say no and then they watched me pack my bag again. Which took forever because I had so much stuff in it and it was perfectly packed.

So finally the train... oh guess what. We don't have seats on the train. No we had to sit on tip up seats which are practically on the ground. They are uncomfortable and awkard. Jean Paul, the head guy, told us that in ten minutes we could go and find empty seats. So 5 minutes pass and the bar opens, and everyone gets up and goes there leaving no evidence that anyone one was sitting in any of the seats. So Shelbi and I pick two and doze off for an hour or so. Then a french man comes back and rudely asks us to try another seat. So it is back to the tip up seats.

Beautiful.

So we arrive in Paris only to wonder around aimlessly for what feels like days and we get the same trick played on us twice within 2 minutes of eachother. jerks asking for money from tired foriegnors. we finally find a hostel and it is booked full. The kind man tells of another hostel not to far from the 3 Ducks Hostel. This one is called the Aloha Hostel.

So we walk to the Aloha and it is nice. Shelbi and I ask for two nights here and then we are off to Lisboa, Portugal. We want to see the ocean!

Later days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I miss you so much, but it sounds like Europe is going to be an adventure. Remember to keep laughing. These will be great stories someday. I love you. Be safe and take care. And have fun!!

Jen